Open Water Swim – CHECK: 12

Another day down and another notch off my check list. Started off the day with plenty of flying and patients. Finally, it was a beautiful day up.

Some morning clouds

Why they call it Cutbank, MT.

I made it back to Kalispell under a brief window of sunlight. A window of sunlight that turned Foy Lake this color:

The intense blue color of Foy Lake, thanks to a high level of Calcium Carbonate.

As I mentioned yesterday, today I had a swim date with a few friends from work. After I got back into Kalispell, I headed down to the lake. This morning was the first time I have touched my wet suit since last year, and I was a bit nervous putting it on again. Not only because I feared not fitting in it but also because a large spider crawled out of it when I grabbed it out of the garage. Luckily, it fit even better than last year….and no arachnids. I hate spiders.

Its been a long road for me with open water swimming. Back when I started this whole triathlon thing, I didn’t swim at all and I had a fear of deep water. I mean that literally. My first training day consisted of six laps….without goggles. Naturally, my first open water swimming race was probably the most fear invoking thing I have done this decade. Since those days in 2007, I have come a long way. Now, I find open water swimming to be the most invigorating and relaxing parts of triathlon. Still, the first hop of the year in the lake is a little nerve wracking.

Happy to say that things went…well…. swimmingly today. Water was chilly at round about 57 degrees, but nothing too cool. As always, I waded in, adjusted to the initial shock, and then spent a good half a minute floating face down. The water was amazingly blue, but the clarity was poor thanks to sediment. It wasn’t long before I watched the lake bed fade away until nothing but a milky blue expanse stretched out underneath me. I quickly got to my stroke with no problems at all with movement, constriction, or breathing. Spent a good 20 minutes cruising around and that was that. This is taper after all.

Overall, I’m feeling better than yesterday. I actually had a little urge in me to RUN as I was walking down the sidewalk at work. Always a good sign. Also, my GI bug has cleared up and no signs of illness. Weight is doing okay at 141 still.

Tomorrow, its time to get my chariot ready.

About Ironvan

From couch potato to Ironman triathlete in 2 years.

Posted on June 14, 2011, in Training and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: