New Age Group Ranking System by WTC
Today, WTC began phasing its new Age Group Ranking system. I am not sure why they chose Valentine’s Day to start this. It’s probably because they know exercise obsessed triathletes are typically single, or will soon be single when they tell their SO to delay dinner so they can get a VO2 Sufferfest session in , and we need something exciting to look at on Valentines day. Just a PSA guys and girls: there are no crucial workouts on Valentine’s day. Unless your SO is Chrissie or Crowie. In that case, time to start baking that cake made entirely out of Cliff Shots.
Anyhow, here are the key points about the AGR:
- Its starting first in Europe.
- If your ranked first in your age group in 2012, you get a free entry to AN Ironman, Ironman 70.3, or 5150 event of your choice in 2013.
- If your ranked 2nd -5th, you get guaranteed entry to AN Ironman, Ironman 70.3, or 5150 event of your choice in 2013.
- No, these spots are not taken from the existing age group entry allotment. They are added on to the existing race field.
- Those peeps also get a free entry to a European 5150 event if you register for a 2012 Ironman or a European 70.3.
- Anyone completing an Ironman event between 5/12/12 and 11/10/12 will receive points.
- First ranking list will be available after Ironman 70.3 Mallorca on 5/15/12
So, how does this exciting and innovative program affect Ironvan? In absolutely no way! The purpose of the program is to give recognition to the best of the age groupers in Ironman, Ironman 70.3, and the 5150 series. I’m no Karin Langer or Stephanie Melkonian. (Look for them in 2012). I’m just a busy doctor in Montana that likes to ride, run, and swim. I’m still trying to make it into the top 50% of my age group at Ironman. Maybe if I enter every Ironman around the globe in 2012, I can get enough points to do something exciting…like get a free T-Shirt. But for all you speed demons out there, I can’t wait to watch you duke it out on the ranking list. Best of luck!
More information can be found here!