Results of the Active.Com and Triathlon America Triathlon Participant Study
- The study divided triathlon participants into four many groups: the newcomer, the practitioner, the veteran, and the lapsed athlete. I am either the practitioner or the lapsed athlete, depending on how much coffee I have.
- Women participation in the sport continues to grow. Females comprised 55% of the “newcomers.”
- 90% of triathletes have obtained higher education.
- 43% of triathletes travel with their families.
- We apparently have a “tribe”mentality, meaning we share core values and beliefs. For example, we all believe skin tight Lycra is appropriate wardrobe for pretty much anywhere.
I’m hoping some that this kind of work leads to better experiences for athletes and their families. I think there is a lot of work to be done with involving athlete families at races. My family was pretty much bored to death at Couer d’Alene last year. I will see if I can get my hands on the actual results findings.