Getting Lucky

I love me some Daft.

I love me some Daft.

Fingers are crossed. Four leaf clovers are picked. Many rabbits are missing limbs. I am getting lucky.

This week’s running has been one tension filled mile after another. On Monday, I started out with a little jog on the treadmill. I had some pretty good soreness for the first ten minutes of walking and then still some more in the next ten of running. Not exactly how I hoped to start the week, but it was somewhat expected after last Sunday’s 13 miler.

Then, out of the blue, on Tuesday I had a pain-free 8 miles on the treadmill, alternating half miles of 7:45 and 8:00. HUZZAH! Literally right after that, I hopped in the car for eight hours of driving over 24 hours. Not the best way to stay loose. Nor was the unexpected day off on Wed.

Thursday was a meat grinder at work, and I only was able to get a very painful three miles in. At least I was outside in the sun. Friday was yet another work sufferfest, and it took all my stubbornness to get out after a long day of work. But I did, and despite a moderately painful start, it was a good day of inclines:

Fullscreen capture 1132013 60406 PM

Saturday, I finally got on my bike, which looked like a Halloween decoration with its dusty cobwebs, and put in a nice spin ride. This felt great and seemed to give my legs some recovery.

Time to change my Powertap batteries.

Time to change my Powertap batteries.

When I woke up today at 5:00, all I could hear was wind howling outside. That was pretty much enough to make me sleep in. Fortunately, thanks to a well-timed nap by baby, I got an unbelievable 15 miles in. Starting out, I had hardly any pain. Things only got better as I moved through the miles. Not even a hint of my typical blister pain. As I rounded 13, I decided to give it a little gas to see how my plans to negative split the race was shaping up. I was pleased.

Fullscreen capture 1132013 60314 PM

Actually, this was way faster than I wanted to run today, and the real meaning of today’s work wont surface until tomorrow morning. Hopefully this was more gain and less damage.

So, it looks like I may have survived the path to the race by the skin of my teeth. 4 more weeks to go. One more 18-20 miler. My goal for that will be to run at 8:30. No faster. Lets see if I can not do anything stupid for 4 more weeks. That will probably take more than luck.

About Ironvan

From couch potato to Ironman triathlete in 2 years.

Posted on November 3, 2013, in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: